Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Indian Chemist Threat

I feel that I am unlike many in the cheddarsphere. They taught me in kindergarden that I am, in fact, unique. But it's not that touchy-feely garbage that I am referring to. I am referring to the fact that I am not a journalism/other sort of humanities major. I am a science major, chemistry to be specific.

This is why I think this story was largely ignored by other bloggers.

Friday, February 24, 2006; State Department officials said yesterday that the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi has granted a visa to a prominent Indian scientist who said he was accused of deception and potential links to chemical weapons production when he applied to a U.S. consulate.

Goverdhan Mehta said he was told two weeks ago that his visa had been "refused" and that his expertise in chemistry could be a threat to U.S. national security.


The original story said that he was denied because his research while a grad student could have been used to make chemical weapons.

Here's the thing: Any chemist who can read can make chemical weapons! Myself included.



In fact, some of these chemicals can be purchased directly from chemical companies.

The U.S consulate needs to stop checking to see if Indian chemists can make chemical weapons (yes) devote thier time to better more productive things, like playing cricket,watching bollywood and eating samosas.

The only way that Indian chemists are any more of a threat than American chemists is in a Bhangra contest.




Side note: If anyone knows a place to get good cheap samosas in Madison, please pass the information on.